When I heard, that they are doing a book featuring mainly c64 artwork and using the color-palette that I had calculated in 2001, I decided to redo some of my measurements with more modern equipment, in order to see if I can improve it.
While fairly accurate for its time and an improvement to what was available previously, I wasn't ultimately satisfied with how some colors looked, when using higher saturation.
I found that slightly readjusting the purple/green angle and phase-shifting all colors a tiny notch, resulted in a more accurate representation of the VIC II colors. I also got to grips with calculating gamma values and measured the original VIC & TED, which I had planned to do for a far too long time.
The code I wrote to do the math eventually grew into a small website, that was able to generate palettes based on brightness, contrast and saturation and I added some plaform-specific graphics from other sites.
This time, I also came up with a name for it. Please visit...
Creating this ate a lot of my free time, so I had to postpone my plan to have a new description of the calculation here, by the end of the year. I need a proper christmas break and will
try my best to get the article done in the first half of January. If you can't wait, just view colodore's source-code online.